April is National Poetry Month and we’re celebrating by having a Poem in Your Pocket Day on Thursday, April 14! On Thursday, everyone at Crocker – students, teachers, volunteers – will have a poem in his or her pocket. Throughout the day we’ll share our poems with each other – in the classroom, at recess, at lunch, with friends and buddies. Last week, kids were busy writing poems, memorizing poems, and reading poetry books to find the perfect poem. There are just a few more days to get ready for Thursday. Here are a few details:
- All students in all grades are participating.
- Students can write their own poems.
- Students can read or recite a poem from memory.
- Help your child find a poem.
- Encourage your child to practice reading his or her poem at home.
If you’re planning to be at school on Thursday, bring a poem to share with the kids. If you forget, stop by the library and I’ll have a few poems to spare. If you’re on the yard at drop off, ask a few students to share their poems with you. Better yet, share a poem with them!